The secret to writing a good cover letter…it should be customized to each employment posting! The tailored cover letter is the first formal document the employer reads about you.
Uncovering the Mystery:
- Does your cover letter capture the employer’s interest/attention?
- Does it connect you to the position?
- Does it emphasize that you are a perfect fit for the position?
- Does it convey that you have knowledge about the company?
- Is it professional in tone and appearance?
- Have you made a great first impression?
- Have you included your branding?
- Is the letter head consistent with what you used on your resume and reference sheet?
- Is it free of errors?
- Did you address the cover letter to a specific person? (and quote the job number)
- Is it one page in length? (clear and concise)
- Did you use high-impact accomplishment statements?
- Did you have a friend or colleague review it?
If you take the time to develop a tailored cover letter which is professional, visually attractive, easy to read and has a good balance you have completed the first step in the process to land yourself an interview with the company you are applying for. Next step for you is a customized…..Resume!
Melanie Graham is a Continuing Education Student currently studying within the Career Consultant Certificate Program at Mohawk College. MCACES offers a comprehensive Employment Advisement program for our students. For more information about Employment Advisement, please visit the MCACES website, www.mcaces.ca or contact Lidia Siino, Employment & Communications Specialist at Lidia.firstname.lastname@example.org.